Accurate Camera Systems Drive Safety in Automotive Industry
The global auto market is driving groundbreaking technologies for camera systems to enhance safety and enable autonomous vehicle control. Advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) rely on well-characterized cameras to rapidly and accurately process images under a variety of environmental conditions and over a range of distances. Automobiles increasingly include optics-based active prevention technologies, such as:
- Pedestrian detection and avoidance
- Lane keeping systems
- Lane change assist
- Forward collision warning systems
- Lane departure warning systems
- Back up and parking aids
- Night vision systems
- Laser (LIDAR)
As new technologies emerge, stricter and more comprehensive regulations for safety and image quality are being issued by organizations such as the (US) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), United Nations (UN Regulation No.46), and Autonomous Vehicle Safety Regulation World Congress. Many features offered as vehicle options now will become required life-saving technologies on all new vehicles.
Auto safety systems rely on optically-based design and testing for strict measurement and characterization of Camera Monitor Systems (image capturing, processing and displaying) A range of tests may include:
- Field of view
- Glare, etc.
Optikos brings a legacy of creative optical engineering to these new opportunities. Our patented Meridian® Mosaic technology is a key enabler for testing wide field lenses and cameras in a production environment. Custom systems assess the effects of windshields and window glass on the performance of an array of forward-looking cameras. Whatever the application, Optikos has a track record of providing creative and economically viable products and designs, including:
- Comprehensive analysis of automotive camera system performance, including the ability to project multiple targets at specific angles into your camera system
- Rapid testing of the full field of a high-resolution camera focused at an infinite distance within a very compact test fixture
- Real-time analysis of image quality factors
- Production testing at higher angles (wider fields of view) during alignment and testing of automotive camera modules using patented Optikos technology
- Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) in self-driving vehicles
Optikos provides production testing solutions that will help to meet and exceed safety standards and to ensure compliance with regulations; and assists other manufacturers of test equipment in providing compact, robust, high-reliability optical subsystems. For more information, complete our contact form or call us at +1 617-354-7557.