Optikos is seeking a talented, enthusiastic, and creative optical designer to join our growing business of optical design services and optical system development. You will join a diverse engineering staff and develop new and cutting edge products for our customers and for the Optikos product line. Our small company atmosphere (65+ employees) is ideal for those engineers who enjoy the full gamut of product development, from conceptualization, modeling and simulation, to prototyping and laboratory testing. You will build the products you design and see them manufactured for use in consumer, industrial, medical, and aerospace applications. Optikos specializes in taking on interesting and challenging projects and we are eager to add talent to our exceptional team!
A successful candidate has concrete and demonstrable engineering skills – a proven track record of development, analysis, and realization of his/her designs. We love to see examples of someone’s work and to dive into technical details! The Principal Optical Designer will contribute to multiple, quick-turn programs with challenging optical designs. Optikos is active in developing surgical devices, VR/AR systems, stereo imaging systems, aerial and multi-spectral imagers, OCT and lidar systems, and more.
About Optikos – for over 37 years Optikos has built and maintained a reputation as experts in the area of optical/opto-electrical system design, and we routinely design and manufacture new products for customers across all industries. Optikos is also the world leader in the production of metrology equipment for assessing image quality of optics and electro-optical devices (cameras). Our engineering team continues to improve existing product lines and develop new products that Optikos manufactures and installs around the globe.
A successful candidate will have the following:
- Proven track record (15+ years) of innovative optical design work
- Expert level skill in OpticStudio and/or CodeV
- Expert level tolerancing for both low-volume precision applications and high-volume commercial applications
- Examples of successfully deployed optical designs
- Broad design skillset. Our development projects
are diverse and turn-over frequently. Experience in some or all of the
following is beneficial:
- Microscope objective design
- Design for optical molding (plastic and glass)
- Athermalized lens design
- Broad spectrum experience (UV through LWIR)
- Stray light analysis via Zemax
- Experience in related fields. Please highlight experience
in the following disciplines:
- Illumination Design/Non-sequential raytracing
- Physical Optics and Interferometry
- Conceptual Optomechanical design
- Enjoys hands-on work in the lab
- Build and test your own designs
- Experience with optical test equipment (interferometers, autocollimators, spectrophotometers, etc.)
- Degree in Optics or Physics; postgraduate degree is preferred although not necessary
Optikos is located in Wakefield, Massachusetts. We offer competitive compensation packages along with a challenging and stimulating environment. US citizenship or permanent residency visa required.